Projects per year
We propose a design framework to assist with user-generated content in facial animation — without requiring any animation experience or ground truth reference. Where conventional prototyping methods rely on handcrafting by experienced animators, our approach looks to encode the role of the animator as an Evolutionary Algorithm acting on animation controls, driven by visual feedback from a user. Presented as a simple interface, users sample control combinations and select favourable results to influence later sampling. Over multiple iterations of disregarding unfavourable control values, parameters converge towards the user's ideal. We demonstrate our framework through two non-trivial applications: creating highly nuanced expressions by evolving control values of a face rig and non-linear motion through evolving control point positions of animation curves.
- animation interfaces
- Animation → Animation Systems; Facial Animation; • Methods and Applications → Genetic Algorithms
- facial animation
- genetic algorithms
- user-generated content
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Computer Graphics and Computer-Aided Design
FingerprintDive into the research topics of 'User-Guided Facial Animation through an Evolutionary Interface'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.
- 1 Finished
Cosker, D., Bilzon, J., Campbell, N., Cazzola, D., Colyer, S., Fincham Haines, T., Hall, P., Kim, K. I., Lutteroth, C., McGuigan, P., O'Neill, E., Richardt, C., Salo, A., Seminati, E., Tabor, A. & Yang, Y.
1/09/15 → 28/02/21
Project: Research council
- Department of Computer Science - Professor
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Statistical Applied Mathematics (SAMBa)
- Centre for the Analysis of Motion, Entertainment Research & Applications
- UKRI CDT in Accountable, Responsible and Transparent AI
- Centre for Autonomous Robotics (CENTAUR)
- Visual Computing
Person: Research & Teaching