Although the concepts of relational and contractual governance in inter-organizational relationships have attracted academic and practitioner interest over the last decades, to date there have been limited comprehensive and systematic efforts to review, analyse and synthesise extant literature. We review and analyse 1,415 publications identified from a wide range of management disciplines and journals from 1990 to 2018. We deploy bibliographic and content analyses to offer a comprehensive literature analyses and synthesis and subsequently develop and position a multidimensional framework of exchange governance. The proposed framework covers existing conceptualisations of exchange governance and its diverse mechanisms, environmental dimensions influencing the use of exchange governance mechanisms and performance implications. We uncover areas that are currently under-studied and draw out fruitful future research avenues.
- Exchange governance
- buyer-supplier relationships
- inter-organizational relationships
- literature review
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Computer Science Applications
- Strategy and Management
- Management Science and Operations Research
- Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
FingerprintDive into the research topics of 'Inter-organizational governance: a review, conceptualisation and extension'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.
- Management - Professor
- Information, Decisions & Operations - Director – HPC Supply Chain Innovation Lab
- Bath Centre for Healthcare Innovation and Improvement
Person: Research & Teaching