This paper proposes the idea that Hindmarsh-Rose (HR) neuronal model can be used to develop a new type of central pattern generator (CPG). Some key properties of HR model are studied and proved to meet the requirements of CPG. Pros and cons of HR model are provided. A CPG network based on HR model is developed and the related properties are investigated. We explore the bipedal primary gaits generated by the CPG network. The preliminary applications of HR model are tested on humanoid locomotion model and functional electrical stimulation (FES) walking system. The positive results of stimulation and experiment show the feasibility of HR model as a valid CPG.
- bipedal locomotion
- central pattern generator
- Hindmarsh-Rose model
- neuronal network
- walking control
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Computer Networks and Communications
FingerprintDive into the research topics of 'Exploring a type of central pattern generator based on Hindmarsh-Rose model: From theory to application'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.
- Department of Electronic & Electrical Engineering - Reader in Robotics Engineering
- Centre for Biosensors, Bioelectronics and Biodevices (C3Bio)
- UKRI CDT in Accountable, Responsible and Transparent AI
- Centre for Autonomous Robotics (CENTAUR)
Person: Research & Teaching