Anomalous power law dispersions in ac conductivity and permittivity shown to be characteristics of microstructural electrical networks

Darryl P Almond, C R Bowen

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

129 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The comparison of the frequency dependent ac conductivity and permittivity of porous lead zirconate titanate ceramics, and the simulated electrical response of a large network of randomly positioned resistors and capacitors was discussed. It was found that anomalous power law dispersions in conductivity and permittivity were electrical response characteristics of the micostructural network formed by the porous lead zirconate titanate pore structure. It was observed that network was a square of 512 components lattice in which 60% of the components were 1 kω resistors and remaining 40% were 1nF capacitors. The critical frequency at which conducting and insulating phases had the same admittance magnitude was also elaborated.
Original languageEnglish
Article number157601
JournalPhysical Review Letters
Volume92
Issue number15
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2004

    Fingerprint

Keywords

  • Insulating materials
  • Ceramic materials
  • Porosity
  • Electric network analysis
  • Porous materials
  • Capacitors
  • Electric conductivity
  • Frequencies
  • Water
  • Resistors
  • Permittivity
  • Relaxation processes

Cite this