The Vehicle Routing Problem (VRP) is one of the most frequently encountered optimization problems in logistics, which aims to minimize the cost of transportation operations by a fleet of vehicles operating out of a base. This paper introduces VRP Spreadsheet Solver, an open source Excel based tool for solving many variants of the Vehicle Routing Problem (VRP). Case studies of two real-world applications of the solver from the healthcare and tourism sectors that demonstrate its use are presented. A new variant of the VRP called Semi-Open Vehicle Routing Problem is introduced based on the case studies. The solution algorithm for the solver, and computational results on benchmark instances from the literature are provided. The solver is found to be capable of solving VRP variants with up to 200 customers.
- Management - Professor
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Statistical Applied Mathematics (SAMBa)
- Information, Decisions & Operations - Director of Studies MSc in Business Analytics
- Bath Centre for Healthcare Innovation and Improvement
- Institute for Mathematical Innovation (IMI)
- Smart Warehousing and Logistics Systems
Person: Research & Teaching, Researcher