Projects per year
I have a particular interest in exploring human relationships and their role in shaping our psychological experiences through the lifespan. To this end, attachment theory (as a way of thinking about and understanding relationships) is one of my favoured frameworks. I am equally intrigued by (a) the impacts of our close attachments on our existence and (b) the impacts of broader social and political structures upon our attachment bond formation and psychological experiences.
- Human relationships across the lifespan
- Attachment theory
- Human motivation
- Social policy and justice from a psychological perspective
- Exploring the role of animals as (a) attachment figures, and (b) facilitators of human-human bonds in the context of foster care (with Ben Rockett)
- Exploring mobile lifestyles in children and adolescents through the lens of human relationships (with Dr Ceri Brown and Georgina Lovett)
- Exploring the provision of sport for underpriveleged children through an attachment theory persepctive (with Ioannis Batlle)
- Understanding personal theories of ability in relation to instructional practices (with Sue Shapcott)
- Exploring the notion of "biographical pain" in elderly people from an attachment theory perpective (with Malcolm Johnson)
- Understanding the impact of educational policy on human motivation (a book "Motivation and Educational policy" us currently under contract with Routledge)
Willing to supervise doctoral students
Areas interested in supervising:
- Research projects related to attachment theory
- Research projects related to the development of human motivation
- Research projects exploring human relations in the contexts of sport and/or education
Exploring emotional loneliness in older people living in retirement communities: A cross-cultural study
1/10/19 → …
Project: UK industry
Dampened motivation as a side effect of contemporary educational policy: a self-determination theory perspectiveCarr, S., 2020, In: Oxford Review of Education. 46, 3, p. 331-345 15 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Golf Coaches’ Mindsets About Recreational Golfers: Gendered Golf Experiences Start on the Practice Tee.Shapcott, S. & Carr, S., 30 Sep 2020, In: Motivation Science. 6, 3, p. 275-284 15 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)48 Downloads (Pure)
Is Parental Attachment Security Contextual? Exploring Context-Specific Child–Parent Attachment Patterns and Psychological Well-Being in Taiwanese YouthsLai, Y-H. & Carr, S., 30 Jun 2020, In: Journal of Research on Adolescence. 30, 2, p. 389-405 17 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)7 Downloads (Pure)
School Principals at Different Stages of Adult Ego Development: Their Sense-Making Capabilities and How Others Experience ThemGilbride, N. M., James, C. & Carr, S., 10 Jan 2020, (Acceptance date) In: Educational Management Administration and Leadership. 18 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile28 Downloads (Pure)
Brown, C. & Carr, S., 4 Mar 2019, In: Journal of Education Policy. 34, 2, p. 242-266 25 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)75 Downloads (Pure)