If you made any changes in Pure these will be visible here soon.

Personal profile

Research interests

Upon completion of the human genome project, the biggest surprise was that humans have far fewer genes than previously expected (~ 21,000). Additionally, less than 2% of the available DNA directly codes for these genes. To address this paradox, recent studies have suggested that much of the remaining 98% of DNA is turned into 'non-coding RNA' and that these regulate the expression of gene expression at the level of transcription and translation. For convenience, we commonly divide this non-coding RNA into small non-coding RNAs and long non-coding RNAs. At the present time, we have little idea about the role of the majority of this non-coding RNA.

My research group is interested in using oligonucleotide-based therapeutics (siRNA and antisense) to target the down-regulation or inhibition of protein coding mRNAs and non-coding RNAs. In the last few years, the emphasis has been upon using next generation sequencing to identify mRNAs, miRNAs and long non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) that underlying biological responses/diseases.

Current project include:

  • The role of long non-coding RNAs and the innate immune response (James Heward and Dr Benoir Roux)
  • Transcriptome analysis in re-current squamous cell lung cancer (Dr Andre Koper - Manchester)
  • Transcriptome analysis in muscle myositis (Dr Philip Hamann)
  • Age Related Changes in miRNAs expression (Jasmine Malchrist)
  • Models of rhinovirus infection in human lungs (Anna Pomerenke - Manchester)
  • Identification of genetic and serum biomarkers of psoriatic arthritis (Dr Deepak Jadon)

Collaborations include:

Professor Fan Chung (Imperial College) – Transcriptome analysis in airway smooth muscle in normal, mild and severe asthma

Dr Simon Jones (University of Birmingham) - Examination of the transcriptome in the synovial fibroblasts of patients with osteoarthritis (normal weight versus obese individuals)

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics where Mark Lindsay is active. These topic labels come from the works of this person. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • 1 Similar Profiles
Long Noncoding RNA Medicine & Life Sciences
MicroRNAs Medicine & Life Sciences
Untranslated RNA Medicine & Life Sciences
Innate Immunity Medicine & Life Sciences
Psoriatic Arthritis Medicine & Life Sciences
Lung Medicine & Life Sciences
Gene Expression Profiling Medicine & Life Sciences
Alveolar Epithelial Cells Medicine & Life Sciences

Network Recent external collaboration on country level. Dive into details by clicking on the dots.

Projects 2013 2020

Research Output 2008 2019

Ketamine increases proliferation of human iPSC-derived neuronal progenitor cells via insulin-like growth factor 2 and independent of the NMDA receptor

Grossert, A., Mehrjardi, N. Z., Bailey, S., Lindsay, M., Hescheler, J., Saric, T. & Teusch, N., 24 Sep 2019, In : Cells. 8, 10, 1139.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Open Access
1 Citation (Scopus)
Open Access

Long Non-Coding RNAs and the Innate Immune Response

Hadjicharalambous, M. & Lindsay, M., 30 Jun 2019, In : Non-coding RNA. 5, 2, 34.

Research output: Contribution to journalReview article

Open Access
3 Citations (Scopus)
18 Downloads (Pure)

Long Non-coding RNAs Are Central Regulators of the IL-1β-Induced Inflammatory Response in Normal and Idiopathic Pulmonary Lung Fibroblasts

Hadjicharalambous, M. R., Roux, B., Feghali-Bostwick, C. A., Murray, L. A., Clarke, D. L. & Lindsay, M., 11 Dec 2018, In : Frontiers in Immunology. 9, p. 2906 1 p., 2906.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Open Access
File
17 Citations (Scopus)
72 Downloads (Pure)

Axial Disease in Psoriatic Arthritis study: defining the clinical and radiographic phenotype of psoriatic spondyloarthritis

Jadon, D. R., Sengupta, R., Nightingale, A., Lindsay, M., Korendowych, E., Robinson, G., Jobling, A., Shaddick, G., Bi, J., Winchester, R., Giles, J. T. & McHugh, N. J., 10 Mar 2017, In : Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 76, 4, p. 701-707 7 p.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Open Access
File
Psoriatic Arthritis
Ankylosing Spondylitis
Phenotype
HLA-B Antigens
Psoriasis

Thesis

Biomarkers of Psoriatic Arthritis Phenotypes

Author: Jadon, D., 26 Jan 2016

Supervisor: McHugh, N. (Supervisor), Nightingale, A. (Supervisor), Sengupta, R. (External person) (Supervisor) & Lindsay, M. (Supervisor)

Student thesis: Doctoral ThesisPhD

File