Projects per year
Jason Hart is a social anthropologist by training (BA, MA, Ph.D University of London). He joined the University of Bath in September 2009 after seven years as a researcher and lecturer at the Refugee Studies Centre, University of Oxford. He is also Visiting Lecturer at the Centre for Children’s Rights Studies, University of Geneva
Much of Jason’s work has explored the experience of and institutional response to young people on the margins of society and the global economy. Themes such as protection, child rights, peacebuilding, home, militarisation and asylum have been central to this research. Much of his research has been undertaken in situations of political violence and displacement. Jason has worked in South Asia (Sri Lanka, Nepal, India and Bhutan) and, increasingly, in the UK. However, his principal area of interest is the Middle East, particularly Israel / occupied Palestinian territories and Jordan.
Jason has been employed as a consultant author, researcher, evaluator and trainer by various UN, governmental and non-governmental organisations. These include UNICEF, Save the Children, PLAN, Care International, and the Canadian International Development Agency. He has also served as an advisor to the UN in the formulation of studies, guidelines and policies.
- Healthy Housing for the Displaced. Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council/ GCRF 2016-2020
- The Moral Economy of Children's Rights: The UNCRC and International Development. British Academy Mid-Career Fellowship 2013-14
- Protecting Palestinian Children: whose concepts? whose politics? 2007-2009. Funded by the East-West Trust and the Council for British Research in the Levant
- The Global Political Economy of Childhood Poverty 2007-2008. Funded by DfID through Young Lives, Department of International Development, Univ. of Oxford
- Children’s Everyday Lives in Political Violence and Economic Uncertainty 2004-2006. Funded by the Rockefeller Foundation through Johns Hopkins University
Recent and current doctoral supervision
- Kate Pincock: ‘F**king Not Kissing: Teenage Girlhood and Sexual Agency in Rural Tanzania’
- Anna Kvittingen: ‘Displacing Needs: The Politics of Humanitarian Aid to Refugees in Jordan’
- Frances Johnson: ‘Unaccompanied Asylum-Seeking Children in the UK: Childhood, Agency and Integration
- Hilary Aked: ‘Israeli state power and the Zionist movement in the UK’
- Elise Reslinger: ‘In the shadows of the French asylum system: shedding light on home-making practices of accompanied children in Bretagne’
- Isabelle Schäfer: ‘Integration of forced migrants in the United Kingdom: the role of Higher Education Institutions’
- University of Oxford: Outstanding Teaching Award (2008-9)
- University of Bath: John Willis Award (2011-12)
Anthropology, Doctor of Philosophy, Goldsmiths, University of London
Award Date: 31 Dec 1999
Social Anthropology, Master of Arts, School of Oriental and African Studies
Award Date: 30 Sep 1995
Middle Eastern studies, Bachelor of Arts, School of Oriental and African Studies
Award Date: 1 Jul 1994
Visting Lecturer, University of GenevaJan 2017 → …
1/10/20 → 31/03/22
Project: Research council
Hart, J. & Forte, C. L., Oct 2013, In: Disasters. 37, 4, p. 627-645 19 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Hart, J., 10 Apr 2014, In: European Journal of Development Research. 26, 2, p. 219-232 23 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile216 Downloads (Pure)
Hart, J. & Boyden, J., 2018, (Acceptance date) Reimagining Childhood Studies . Spyrou, S., Rosen, R. & Cook, D. (eds.). Bloomsbury Publishing
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter
RIBA President’s Awards for Research 2017 Winner of the Annual Theme - Housing: Toward healthy housing for the displacedAlbadra, D., Coley, D. & Hart, J., 11 Jan 2018, In: Journal of Architecture. 23, 1, p. 115-136 22 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile16 Citations (Scopus)91 Downloads (Pure)
Hart, J., Paszkiewicz, N. & Albadra, D., 1 Dec 2018, In: Human Organization . 77, 4, p. 371-380 10 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Kuchai, N. (Creator), Lo, S. (Creator), Albadra, D. (Creator), Coley, D. (Creator), Natarajan, S. (Creator), Hart, J. (Creator), Paszkiewicz, N. (Creator), Adeyeye, K. (Creator), Moran, F. (Creator), Ball, R. (Creator), Holley, J. (Creator), Orr, J. (Creator) & de Castro, M. (Creator), University of Bath, 19 Nov 2020