Projects per year
Notable Research Awards and Prizes
- International Society of Behavioural Medicine, Early Career Award, 2021
- Society for the Study of Addiction, Fred Yates Prize, 2020
- UK Society for Behavioural Medicine, Early Career Award, 2018
- Cancer Research UK, Postdoctoral Fellowship Award, 2017
- Welcome Trust, Public Engagement Prize, 2015
- BMJ, Best Research Paper of the Year Award, 2014
- NIHR Coordinating Centre for Research, Capacity Development Scholarship, 2011
Please see my YouTube channel.
I am Research Director for The Addiction and Mental Health Group (AIM). I currently hold a post-doctoral fellowship award from Cancer Research UK. My fellowship focuses on designing a smoking cessation intervention for people with depression/anxiety and testing the intervention in mental health settings (Improving Access to Psychological Services (IAPT)) in a randomised and controlled feasibility and pilot study.
I am an epidemiologist and behavioural scientist. My work falls within the remits of clinical and health psychology, and public health, with a strong focus on applied research. My research uses epidemiological methods to find and explore intervention targets, and then interpret the results using behavioural and psychological theory for use in mental health and addiction treatment settings.
I completed my PhD in epidemiology at The University of Birmingham on the topic of smoking and mental health. I continued on to post-doctoral position projects at the University of Bristol working across the MRC's Integrative Epidemiology Unit, and the Tobacco and Alcohol Research Group until 2018.
PhD and DClinPsych Supervision
I am happy to supervise PhD and DClinPsych projects in these areas:
- Systematic reviews and meta-analyses
- Observational/cohort studies
- Secondary analyses (i.e., randomised controlled trials, Clinical Practice Research Database)
- Advanced epidemiological techniques (i.e., propensity score matching, instrumental variable analyses, causal inference)
- Feasibility and pilot randomised controlled trials
- Randomised designs
- Tobacco smoking and mental health
- Tobacco smoking treatment and epidemiology
- Mental health treatment and epidemiology
- Addiction treatment and epidemiology
- Dual treatment of addiction and mental health
- Projects based in primary care services
- Projects based in Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) services
- Depression and anxiety disorders
- Behaviour change
I currently teach on the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy), MSc in Clinical Psychology, MRes in Psychology, and BSc in Psychology.
Epidemiology, Doctor of Philosophy, University of Birmingham
… → 2015
Award Date: 12 Jan 2015
Psychology & Biology (1st class), Bachelor of Science, University of Worcester
2006 → 2009
Award Date: 31 Jul 2009
Applied Clinical and Health Psychology, Master of Science, University of Worcester
2009 → 2011
- smoking cessation
- mental health
- tobacco treatment
- mental health treatment
- pilot studies
- primary care
- instrumental variable analysis
- propensity score matching
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Addressing concerns about smoking cessation and mental health: theoretical review and practical guide for healthcare professionalsTaylor, G., Baker, A., Fox, N., Kessler, D., Aveyard, P. & Munafò, M. R., 31 Mar 2021, In: British Journal of Psychiatry. 27, 2, p. 85-95
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile85 Downloads (Pure)
Risk of neuropsychiatric and cardiovascular adverse events following treatment with varenicline and nicotine replacement therapy in the UK Clinical Practice Research Datalink: a case-crossover studyThomas, K. H., Davies, N. M., Taylor, A. E., Taylor, G. M. J., Gunnell, D., Martin, R. M. & Douglas, I., 30 Jun 2021, In: Addiction. 116, 6, p. 1532-1545
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Taylor, G., Lindson, N., Farley, A., Leinberger-Jabari, A., Sawyer, K., te Water Naudé, R., Theodoulou, A., King, N., Burke, C. & Aveyard, P., 9 Mar 2021, In: Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2021, 3, p. 1-240 240 p., CD013522.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-review
Tam, J., Warner, K. E., Zivin, K., Taylor, G. & Meza, R., 7 Jul 2021, (E-pub ahead of print) In: American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 9 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Views about integrating smoking cessation treatment within psychological services for patients with common mental illness: A multi-perspective qualitative studyTaylor, G. M. J., Sawyer, K., Kessler, D., Munafò, M. R., Aveyard, P. & Shaw, A., 27 Apr 2021, In: Health Expectations. 24, 2, p. 411-420 10 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen Access
Taylor, G. (Creator), Lindson, N. (Creator), Farley, A. (Creator), Leinberger-Jabari, A. (Creator), Sawyer, K. (Creator), te Water Naudé, R. (Creator), Theodoulou, A. (Creator), King, N. (Creator), Burke, C. (Creator) & Aveyard, P. (Creator), University of Bath, 8 Mar 2021