Projects per year
I work at the intersection of sociology, politics and political economy to investigate how social and political order is imgained, produced and contested in a range of empirical contexts.
- Governance analysis: theorising governance, statehood and public policy as 'regimes of governing practices'
- Political economy of automating rule: the political economies, form and effects of AI technologies in governance.
- Migration governance and the production of socio-political order(s) in the EU and beyond.
I am Co-I, and management team lead for AI and Public Policy, on the UKRI Doctoral Training Centre on Accountable, Responsible and Transparent AI at Bath. I am a member of the British Standards Institute Committee for AI standards; their Expert Panel on Data and Information Management; and the IEEE working group on Procurement and Artificial Inteligence.
I have extensive public and policy engagement experience nationally and internationally, including presentations to parliamentary bodies and public servants, as well as dozens of media contributions.
I sit on the editorial boards of the Journal of Social Policy and Administration, and the Italian Journal of Social Policy.
I have supervised and co-supervised more than 10 PhD students to completion, and have twice been nominated for a university prize for excellence in doctoral supervision. I am always keen to hear from committed students working in my broad research areas.
- Mobile Welfare in a Transnational Europe: An analysis of Portability Regimes of Social Security Rights (TRANSWEL)
- Fellowship supervisor to Dr Thanos Maroukis on Jobs-to-Rent.
Open access pieces on AITs in government
Current research students
- Catriona Gray: Accounting for Decisions: Tracing the Adoption of AITs by UNHCR
- Thao Do: AITs for Identification and Support for Victims of Sexual Exploitation in Southeast Asia
- Nadege Ade: Governing healthcare: introducing universal healthcare system in Burkina Faso
- Anna Kvittingen: 'Vulnerability' and '(in)visibility of refugees in Jordan
- Bo Donoghue: The false equivalency: liberty and domination in gig economy work
- Pamela Bernales-Baksai: Policy architectures, social practices: comparing health systems in Chile, Bolivia and Uruguay
- Emily Rickard: Pharmaceutical funding and donations in policy and politics
Recent research students
- King Papież: Transnational belonging and social rights of Polish migrants in the UK
- Lydia Medland: Fair food? View from a global food system enclave
- Rasha Hamra: Assessing the governance of the health policy-making process using a new governance tool: the case of Lebanon
- Alfred Carr: Migrants' experience of mental health services: Ghanaians in Calgary
- Thomais Massala: Financialisation and UK pension system governance
- Berenice Scandone: British-born Bangladeshi women in higher education: intersectional experiences and identities
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
History, Bachelor of Arts, University of Oxford
Social Policy , Master of Arts, University of York
Social Policy , Doctor of Philosophy, University of York
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Carmel, E., 1 Jun 2022, In: IEEE Technology and Society Magazine. 41, 2
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Transnational Social Protection: Inclusion for Whom? Theoretical Reflections and Migrant ExperiencesCarmel, E., Scheibelhofer, E. (ed.) & Amelina, A. (ed.), 22 Mar 2022, In: Social Inclusion. 10, 1
Research output: Contribution to journal › Special issue › peer-review
Beyond welfare chauvinism and deservingness. Rationales of belonging as a conceptual framework for the politics and governance of migrants’ rightsCarmel, E. & Sojka, B., 31 Jul 2021, In: Journal of Social Policy. 50, 3, p. 645-667
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile2 Citations (SciVal)25 Downloads (Pure)
Lenner, K., Carmel, E. & Paul, R., 22 Apr 2021, Handbook on the Governance and Politics of Migration. Cheltenham, U. K.: Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd, p. 1-23 23 p.
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › ChapterOpen Access
Assessing the governance of the health policymaking process using a new governance tool: the case of LebanonCarmel, E., Hamra, R., Siddiqui, S. & Ammar, W., 15 Jun 2020, In: Health Research Policy and Systems. 18, 1, 66.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen Access