Projects per year
Here comes an incomplete list:
- assessing the fate of trace organic chemicals in urban water systems (pharma, drug biomarkers),
- computational fluid dynamics of bioengineered water systems, and
- biogeochemical used-water resource recovery.
These areas, of course, are related to what I have been doing between 2009 and 2017, working as an associate professor in bioprocess modelling at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU).
Through the past decade, I also had the honour to collaborate with numerous researchers as partner, notably, in four EU projects – FP6-INNOWATECH (2006-2010; developing innovative biofilm systems for water treatment), FP7-E4WATER (2012-2016; Modelling microalgae cultivation in photobioreactors for usedwater resource recovery), FP7-SEWPROF (2012-2016; wastewater-based epidemiological engineering to assess drug abuse in urban areas), FP7-MERMAID (2013-2017; Biogeochemical enhancement of biofilm systems for pharmaceutical removal in wastewater) and as associated partner in FP7-SANITAS (2012-2016; Modelling trace pharmaceutical removal in wastewater treatment). I was also the Danish representative in the management board of the European COST action focusing on sewage biomarker analysis.
I am Hungarian, and hold a PhD in Chemical Engineering, MSc in Bioengineering (both from the Budapest University of Technology and Economics). Before moving to Denmark, I was a research scientist at the Norwegian Institute for Water Research in Oslo (4 years) and an industrial Marie Skłodowska-Curie post-doctor in France (2 fantastic years and a few more months).
Willing to supervise doctoral students
As for PhD fellowships, I was the lead supervisor of seven PhD students and another six students as co-supervisor at DTU, and have basic and advanced pedagogical training in PhD supervision from DTU, Denmark.
Additionally, I supervised three post-doctors, and numerous MSc and BSc thesis projects at DTU (Duration of projects: 5-6 months) and at University of Bath (Duration of MEng/BSc projects: 3 months).
PhD students (as lead supervisor)
- Yuge Qiu (2018-present day): Climate change adaptation and mitigation in urban water treatment systems - modelling stormflow conditions and greenhouse gas emission.
- Elena Torresi (2014-2017): Removal of micropollutants in Moving Bed Biofilm reactor (MBBR)—microbial diversity and function relationships; Subsequent position: post-doctor at Krüger-VEOLIA, Denmark;
- Dorottya Wágner (2013-2016): Used water resource recovery using green microalgae – experiments and modelling; Subsequent position: post-doctor at Aalborg University, Denmark
- Pedram Ramin (2013-2016): Modelling illicit drug fate in sewers for wastewater-based epidemiology; Subsequent position: post-doctor at DTU;
- Fabio Polesel (2012-2015): Modelling the fate of Xenobiotic Pharmaceutical residues via Wastewater Treatment and agricultural resource reuse; Subsequent position: post-doctor at DTU;
- Borja Valverde Peréz (2012-2015) Wastewater resource recovery via the Enhanced Biological Phosphorus Removal and Recovery (EBP2R) process coupled with green microalgae cultivation; Subsequent position: post-doctor at DTU;
- Elham Ramin (2010-2014) Modelling of secondary sedimentation under wet-weather and filamentous bulking conditions; Subsequent position: Eng. consultant: Grontmij, DKS.
PhD students (as co-supervisor):
- Ma Yunjie (2015-2018) Sino-Danish Fund; Lead supervisor: Prof. Barth F. Smets
- Yen Nguyen@UNL (2013-2016) MERMAID-EU; Lead supervisor: Prof. Adrian Oehmen, NU Lisbon, Portugal
- Sara Ekström (2014–2017) LAGAS; Lead supervisor: Prof. Barth F. Smets
- Carlos Domingo-Felez (2014 – 2017) LAGAS; Lead supervisor: Prof. Barth F. Smets
- Laura Snip@DTU/Chem. Eng. Dpt. (2012 – 2015; defense: 8 Jun, 2015) SANITAS-EU-FP7; Lead supervisor: Prof. Krist V. Gernaey
- Malcolm Reid@NIVA (2009-2015): PHARMATREAT; Lead supervisor: Dr. Kevin V. Thomas;
Post-doctoral fellowships (as lead supervisor)
- Borja Valverde Peréz (2016-2017): QBIOMAX;
- Fabio Polesel (2016-2017): NANOWASTE;
- Pau Prat (2012-2014): REFA;
MSc thesis projects: total: 16; as lead supervisor: 13
2016 (1) Clarissa Cazzaniga (ASM-A – Experiments and modelling); Zhang Xueqian (sensor for soft solid settling)
2015 (1) Saverio Conti (Denitrifying biofilm, molecular analysis); (2) Andreas Libonatti (reactive sewer modelling; ASM-X); (3) Michael Steidl (green microalge, S::CAN sensor); (4) Petroula Seridou (primary/secondary metabolism, denitrifying biofilm);
2014 (1) Luca Loreggian (ASM-X-biofilm); (2) Estelle Guyonvarch (CFD-SST); (3) Linda Fang (LCA-TRENS); (4) Marta B. de la Sotilla (TRENS-ASM-A); (5) Jose M. Fuentes Martinez (process control–TRENS);
2013 (1) Dorottya Wágner (qFisH–SST); (2) Mariann Sæbø (ASM-A);
BSc thesis projects; as lead supervisor: 4
2017 (1) Yuka Li (settling sensor), Rica Qiu (plant-wide modelling of Microtrix p.), Chris Griffin (CFD of settling sensor);
2015 (1) Maria Radovici (Bioflocculation of microalgae)
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Biochemical engineering, Doctor of Engineering, Budapest University of Technology and Economics
2 Sep 1998 → 21 Jun 2004
Award Date: 21 Jun 2004
Biochemical engineering, Master in Science
1 Sep 1993 → 1 Sep 1998
Award Date: 1 Sep 1998
Associate professor, Technical University of Denmark
1 Jan 2010 → 30 Oct 2016
Research Scientist, Norwegian Institute for Water Research
1 Oct 2006 → 28 Apr 2010
Marie Curie Post-doctoral fellow, Anjou Recherche-Veolia Water
4 Aug 2004 → 30 Sep 2006
Visiting PhD student, Clemson University
1 Sep 1999 → 1 Jan 2000
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 1 Finished
IDYEA (DYNARGO) MSCA IF Vince Bakos
1/04/21 → 31/03/23
Project: EU Commission
Optimal influent N-to-P ratio for stable microalgal cultivation in water treatment and nutrient recoveryWagner, D., Cazzaniga, C., Steidl, M., Dechesne, A., Valverde-Perez, BO. & Plosz, B., 1 Jan 2021, In: Chemosphere. 262, 127939.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile4 Citations (SciVal)20 Downloads (Pure)
Enantiomeric profiling of quinolones and quinolones resistance gene qnrS in European wastewatersCastrignanò, E., Yang, Z., Feil, E. J., Bade, R., Castiglioni, S., Causanilles, A., Gracia-Lor, E., Hernandez, F., Plósz, B. G., Ramin, P., Rousis, N. I., Ryu, Y., Thomas, K. V., de Voogt, P., Zuccato, E. & Kasprzyk-Hordern, B., 15 May 2020, In: Water Research. 175, p. 115653 115653.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile6 Citations (SciVal)15 Downloads (Pure)
Hindered and compression solid settling functions – sensor data collection, practical model identification and validationPlosz, B., Climent, J., Griffin, C., Chiva, S., Mukherjee, R., Penkarski-Rodon, E., Clarke, M. & Valverde-Perez, BO., 1 Oct 2020, In: Water Research. 184, 116129.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile16 Downloads (Pure)
Quantifying the sources of uncertainty when calculating the limiting flux in secondary settling tanks using iCFDGuyonvarch, E., Ramin, E., Kulahci, M. & Plósz, B. G., 24 Apr 2020, In: Water Science and Technology. 81, 2, p. 241-252 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen Access
Microalgae and cyanobacteria modeling in water resource recovery facilities: A critical reviewShoener, B., Plosz, B., Valverde-Pérez, B., Wagner, D. & Guest, J., 1 Feb 2019, In: Water Research X. 2, p. 1-18 18 p., 100024.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-reviewOpen Access31 Citations (SciVal)