This dataset merges data on state fragility, developmental grievances and political violence into an annual country-specific format from 1995 to 2018. It is based on the following existing data sources:
1. Fatalities of political violence: UCDP Georeferenced data. URL: https://ucdp.uu.se/downloads/index.html#ged_global
2. State fragility: State Fragility Index of Systemic Peace 2018. URL: https://www.systemicpeace.org/inscrdata.html
3. Population data: World Bank’s World Development Indicators. URL: https://databank.worldbank.org/reports.aspx?source=2&series=SP.POP.TOTL&country=#
4. Human development: UNDP Human Development Reports (various years). URL: http://hdr.undp.org/en/content/download-data
5. Transparency International: Corruption Perceptions Index. URL: https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi
6. US and other great power interventions: Kivimäki, Timo. Coding of US Presidential Discourse on Protection. University of Bath Research Data Archive, 2019. doi:10.15125/BATH-00535.
The data is produced for an exploration of the associations between several indicators related to developmental grievances, state fragility and conflict. The definitions and operationalisations of the variables of each of the source variable can be found in the above sources, while the methodology of the development of the applied variables can be seen in the do-file of this data. Arguments for each of the applied variables can be found in the associated paper, “The Fragility-Grievances-Conflict Triangle in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA): An Exploration of the Correlative Associations”.